Looking for a new way to eat your greens?
This health hero is a tasty way to incorporate green vegetables into your meals. They can work as a meat replacement for your dinner tonight or as a tasty side dish. Best of all any left overs can be saved and re-heated the next day for an easy lunch solution.
Follow the simple steps below to whip up these Gluten Free treats:
Prep: 20 minutes | Cooking: 20 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1/2 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 small broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 kale leaves, finely shredded
- 100g haloumi, coarsely grated
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- olive oil spray
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup firmly packed mixed herbs (we used parsley, mint & coriander)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tbs tahini
- To make the green hummus, place all ingredient, except for lemon zest, in a blender. Blend until smooth, adding a little water if necessary. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- To make the fritters, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add cauliflower and broccoli florets and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and refresh in iced water. Drain, finely chop and place in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients, except oil spray, and lemon zest to bowl. Season and mix together well.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Lightly spray with oil. Using 1/2 cup of mixture for each fritter, add to pan and press down evenly. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.
- Place on a paper towel-lined tray. Loosely cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Serve fritters topped with green hummus and garnished with extra herbs.
*Ingredients available from Woolworth’s Forrest Chase