The recent Chinese New Year celebrations have put us in great spirits, experiencing delicious Asian cuisine and culture. So – we thought we’d share a super simple and scrumptious recipe with you, thanks to our friends at Woolworths.
You can find all the ingredients you need and more at Woolworths Murray Street Mall.
- 1 packet 1.6kg whole duck
- 2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 slices ginger
- 4 star anise
- 2 garlic cloves – bruised
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 tbs shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- Preheat oven to 200°c. Rinse duck and pat dry with paper towel. Combine spice, sugar and salt. Rub into skin and cavity. Place duck, breast-side down on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Place garlic, ginger and star anise inside duck.
- Combine soy, shaoxing and honey in a saucepan and simmer for 1 minute. Brush glaze all over duck and place into middle of the oven. Reduce temperature to 190°c and bake for 30 minutes, brushing occasionally with glaze.
- Turn duck over, brush with glaze and cook for a further 45 minutes, brushing occasionally with glaze until cooked and skin is a deep-golden brown. Remove from oven and rest for 20 minutes before serving.
- Cut into pieces and serve with steamed rice and vegetables. (we used baby pak choy, spring onion, red capsicum and sugar snap peas).
TIP: leftover duck meat is great in risotto, pasta and stir-fries. Use the bones as the basis of a steaming noodle soup and add leftover duck meat at the end to warm through.