It’s a long debated topic if the Pav is truly Australian or New Zealand… Quite frankly, it’s just so darn delicious that it doesn’t matter to us in the slightest!
Try this deliciously decadent Chocolate Pavlova complete with Poached Pears and Caramel Sauce this Australia Day for a crowd-pleasure that’s sure to have zero left-overs. Find all the ingredients you need at Woolworths.
- 5 EGG WHITES
- 300 G CASTER SUGAR
- 1/4 COCOA POWDER
- 1/4 CUP DEMERARA OR BROWN SUGAR
- 2 TBS GOLDEN SYRUP
- 2 TBS WATER
- 4 PEARS, PEELED, CORED & HALVED
- 1 CUP CASTER SUGAR (FOR SAUCE)
- 1/3 CUP WATER
- 600 ML THICKENED CREAM
- 50 G BUTTER
- Preheat oven to 130°c. Line a large tray with baking paper. Draw a 20 cm disc on the paper and turn ink-side down.
- Place egg whites and sugar in a stainless-steel bowl and whisk lightly to combine. Sit the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, ensuring the base does not touch water. Stir constantly for 4-5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch.
- Transfer mixture to the large bowl of an electric mixer. Beat at low speed and gradually increase to high speed until the meringue is stiff with glossy peaks (this should take about 5 minutes). Sift cocoa over meringue and use a spatula to gently swirl through.
- Spoon meringue onto paper and spread to fill the disc, swirling to create peaks. Reduce oven to 100°c. Bake meringue for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until crisp. Turn off oven. Leave meringue in oven, with door closed, for 2 hours or overnight to cool completely.
- To make the poached pears, combine sugar, syrup and water in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Add the pear, cut-side down, and cook for 15 minutes. Turn pear and cook for a further 15 minutes or until just tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make caramel sauce, spread sugar over the base of a frying pan. Add water and cook over medium-high heat, swirling the pan to evenly melt sugar, until it is a dark, caramel colour. Whisk in 1/2 cup of cream, then butter, until smooth. Cool.
- Top pavlova with dollops of cream, poached pear and caramel sauce.