Spring has officially sprung, and with it comes a bounty of fresh, seasonal and colourful ingredients ready to be turned into culinary delights.
From avocado to citrus, asparagus, peas, strawberries, leafy greens and herbs, the shelves at Woolworths are stocked with vibrant fruits and vegetables. Simple spring meals with a zing are easy to create with the following four recipes, with all ingredients available from Woolworths and BWS Forrest Chase.
Asparagus and Haloumi Salad
Prep: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 4
- 3 red capsicums
- 500g haloumi cheese cut into 1.5cm slices
- 1 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 3 bunches asparagus
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Olive oil spray
1. Heat a barbeque hotplate on medium high heat. Spray capsicum with oil then cook for 10 minutes or until charred on all sides. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and stand for five minutes to cool. Peel and remove seeds. Roughly chop and place into a bowl with olives.
2. Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a jug and add to salad.
3. Toss well to combine. Sprinkle with basil.
4. Cook asparagus on barbeque plate for 5 minutes until just tender.
5. Cook haloumi on barbecue plate for 1-2 minutes until golden.
6. Serve asparagus and haloumi with capsicum salad and crusty bread.
Chorizo, Prawn and Pea Pasta
Prep: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 15 minutes | Serves: 4
- 125g smoked chorizo, finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 500g fresh green prawns, peeled, deveined
- 400g spaghetti
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup finely chopped continental parsley
1. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving rendered fat in pan.
2. Over medium heat, add oil to the same pan. Add garlic and chilli, if using, and stir for 1 minute or until soft and just beginning to colour. Add prawns, increase heat to high and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often, or until just cooked.
3. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to packet instructions or until al dente. Add peas for last minute of cooking. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
4. Add spaghetti, peas and reserved cooking water to pan with prawns and toss well. Season. Top with chorizo and parsley and serve.
Arepa (Sweet Corn Cakes)
Prep: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 cup semolina
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 400g can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, mashed
1. Combine semolina, cornflour, sugar and 1 tsp salt in a bowl. Add ½ cup cold water. Stir until mixture forms a thick paste. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead to a smooth dough. Divide dough into 8 portions.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Using wet hands, form each dough portion into a thin disc. Cook arepas, 2 at a time, for 3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Keep warm.
3. Combine tomato and lime juice with 1 tsp sea salt flakes and white pepper in a bowl. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Add beans and cook for a further 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove pan from heat and stir through cheese.
4. Spread 4 arepas with mashed avocado. Top with tomato and bean mixture. Cover with remaining arepas, season with salt and serve.
Sparkling Cocktail With Iced Strawberries
- 8 strawberries
- 2 tbsp chilled pomegranate juice or cranberry juice
- 750ml Yellowglen Bella Sparkling Moscato
- pomegranate arils
1. Hull 8 strawberries and freeze.
2. Pour 2 tbsp chilled pomegranate juice or cranberry juice into each champagne flute. Top with chilled Sparkling Moscato.
3. Add a frozen strawberry and pomegranate arils to each flute.
Please drink responsibly, 18+